Curriculum Development Division (CDD)
The curriculum Development Division organizes and coordinates the design and development of curriculum, the breaking down of teaching schemes into teachable units. It reviews and distributes curriculum materials such as, teaching schemes and textbooks for use in FCT schools. It organizes seminars, workshops and conferences for the training of teachers and organizes the annual FCT Book Fair. It undertakes in co-curricular activities such as; quiz, debates and musical competitions as well as the organization of Drama on Tapes and the formation of Subject Associations.
The Division carries out its functions through the following branches:-
- undertakes the production and distribution of ERC Teaching Schemes for FCT Schools (Public and Private)
- Organises internal seminars for Curriculum Development Division staff
- Publishes the ERC Curriculum Journal
- Reviews the FCT schools Teaching Scheme
- Analyses of students performance in JSCE, NECO and WASSCE
- Organises Seminars / Workshops and Conferences on; Biology, Geography, P.H.E, Agric. -Science, Hausa Language, Mathematics, English, Economics and Chemistry
- Organises motivational talks
- Organises FCT Book Fair
- Monitors the application or implementation of Teaching Schemes in FCT Schools
- Reviews textbooks for recommendation for use in FCT Schools (Public & Private)
- Organises NTA School Debate among FCT schools
- Organises Aso Radio Quiz Competition
- Organises Quiz, Debates, Symposium, Drama Day (for students in FCT School)
- Organizes Music Day (for schools that offer music)
- Organises Short story writing competition, Poetry Writing / Recitation competition, Essay Writing
- Formation of Subject Association in all subjects
Offers French Language Courses in
- Beginner ‘A’ – Duration:- 3 Months
- Beginner ‘B’ – Duration:- 3 Months
- Intermediate – Duration:- 6 Months
- Advanced / Professional – Duration:- 9 Months
Lectures for these courses are held three times in a week and the lectures last for two (2) hours
Morning Session: 10:00 am – 12:00 Noon
Afternoon session: 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Facilitates the organization of International Conferences, Seminars and Workshop in French
- Engages in the provision of Advertisement in French for goods and services
- Engages in the provision of escort ion and interpretation services to tourist visiting the country
- Engages in film and television production
DETAILS OF CUSTOMERS
These includes teachers, students, school heads, proprietors / proprietresses of schools, educational institutions, examination bodies, curriculum organizations and the general public.
- Routine Book Review - Report is ready after two weeks
- School text review – Done once every three years
- Organisation of seminars, workshop, etc - Done when the need arises
- Book Fair – Three weeks in September each year
- Debates and Quiz – One term of about thirteen (13) weeks
- Purchase of Teaching Schemes - Available immediately after production till reviewed (every 3-5 years)
- French Language Teaching – Two (2) sessions per day (Morning & Afternoon) Three times a week
- The right to know the outcome of books submitted for review
- The right to observe and offer constructive suggestions on teaching schemes, books reviewed, book fairs, debates, quiz, seminars and workshops
- The right to have a feedback on courses taken at the French Language Centre (FLC)
- All schools in the FCT are expected to use the ERC Teaching Schemes
- All schools in the FCT are expected to adhere to the approved FCT Book List
- For the routine book review, Four (4)copies of such books are to be submitted by the author to the ERC for the review
- For the review of school text books, publishers / authors are expected to submit Four (4)copies of each of their publications for review without any charge
- Recommended textbooks should be made available at all times by the publishers / authors / booksellers, etc.
- Textbooks should satisfy the following criteria: Relevance to curriculum, Quality production, Affordable price, currency of edition, Students exercises, Illustrations, etc.
- The reviewing staff should not be subjected to Undue pressure for the purpose of obtaining a favourable assessment of publications submitted
- Similarly, no customer should succumb to any threat or request for any kind of inducement to obtain undue favourable assessment
- For the Debate and Quiz Competitions, participants shall be required to abide by the rules formulated by the ERC to guide the conduct of the contests. They shall also ballot for the motions and be paired to support or oppose the selected motion.
- The ERC expects the leadership of subject associations to be disciplined and to operate within the framework of their approved constitutions
- During the annual FCT Book Fair, participants are expected to sell books at the publishers prices, and pay the agreed registration fees before the beginning of the fair
- Pirated books are not allowed at the Book Fair
- Customers are to make enquires or report at the ERC stand during the period of the Book Fair.
|FCT Teaching Scheme||N1,500|
|Seminars / Workshop||Cost is subject to the type and length of the program|
|NTA Debate/music tape (120mins.)||N500 (each)|
|French Lectures(Beginner ‘A’: 3 months)||N20,000 ( 2 hours, thrice weekly)|
|French Lectures(Beginner ‘B’: 3 months)||N20,000 ( 2 hours, thrice weekly)|
|French Lectures(Intermediate: 6 months)||N50,000 ( 2 hours, thrice weekly)|
|French Lectures(Adv./professional: 9 months)||N50,000 ( 2 hours, thrice weekly)|
2. FUNCTIONS OF CDD
CDD organizes and coordinates the design and development of curriculum, the breaking down of teaching schemes into teachable units,
Reviews and distributes curriculum materials such as, teaching schemes and textbooks to FCT schools
It organizes workshops, seminars and conferences for the training of teachers.
It organizes annual book fair
It organizes co-curricular activities such as; quiz, debates, musical contests, drama on tapes, subject associations etc.
It offers full-time French courses for beginners, intermediate and professional groups.
It also provides bi-lingual services to tourists.
Complaints for any observed Service Failure is to be directed to the
- Officer of the Division where the service was rendered
- Head of the Curriculum Development Division
- Centre’s Complaint Boxes
- SERVICOM Office
- Director (ERC)
SHORT PROFILE OF H.O.D.
SHORT PROFILE OF HEAD OF CDD
Mrs. E. J. Akpabio hails from Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria; she was born on 15th June 1956. She obtained her First Degree in Bachelor of Education in Biology (B. Ed Biology) and later proceeded for Master’s Degree in Education Curriculum Studies (M. Ed Curr Studies). As a professional teacher she taught Biology, Health Science, Mathematics and Integrated Science in State High School Lagos, GSS Karshi, GSS Karu and MSS Maitama, she rose to HOD Sciences in GSS Karu before joining the FCT ERC in the year 1998. Until 2002 she was Biology Desk Officer in M & E Division of the ERC and later the Head of Admission Branch in M & E from 2002-2004. She became the HOD Planning Research and Statistics (PRS) from 2005-2011 and currently she is the HOD Curriculum Development Division (CDD) Mrs. E. J. Akpabio has several letters of commendations and awards for her outstanding performance, dedication to duty and loyalty. She is happily married and blessed with 3 children.