Guidance & Counselling (G&C)
The Guidance and Counselling Division of the Centre is responsible for the posting of counselors to FCT Schools. It is also responsible for their monitoring and supervision, the review and modification of G & C scheme of work, the organization of the career day / exhibition and runs a counselling clinic for students, parents, staff and the general public.
The division operates through the following three branches
The Guidance and counseling Clinic Branch renders the following services
- Counseling Services to Staff of the centre, the Education Secretariat Agencies, and to Members of the general public.
- It also Co-ordinates the activities of the Counseling Association of Nigeria within the FCT
- Organises workshops on different aspects of counseling, e.g., on the use of psychological test materials, behaviour modification, emotional distress, stress and anxiety, family problems, financial problems, etc.
- Plans Guidance and Counselling programmes by reviewing and periodically modifying the Guidance and Counseling scheme of work to suit new realities.
- Supervises and monitors school counselors
- Organises annual Leadership Training Courses for prefects in FCT Schools
- Attends Career Days organized by various FCT Schools
- Operates a Counseling Clinic on family problems, Management of human resources and finances, child abuse, choosing a spouse, stress management referral services, HIV / AIDS, etc.
INTERNAL: Any staff of the ERC who present himself / herself or is referred to it by management.
EXTERNAL: Any staff of the Education Secretariat, on request or referral:
- Schools / Students
- Children at home / orphanages
- The general public
- Career Day and training of prefects hold in the 1st Term of each session and the dates are always communicated to all stake holders
- Counselling services are daily, but can also depend on the seriousness of the case at hand
- Supervision of Counselors in schools is on a monthly basis
- Customers are expected to repose confidence in their Counsellor by being open, truthful and sincere
- Customers are expected to give feedback on their cases in order to have a follow-up, if the need arises
- School Counsellors are expected to report regularly on their activities in school by submitting monthly reports to the ERC Guidance and Counselling Division
- Every Customer is expected to adhere to the outcome of every visitation
- Counselling Services are administered free of charge
- Schools, however, purchase psychological / vocational test materials, at price which are dependent on the cost of the tests at source
Complaints for any observed Service Failure is to be directed to the
Officer of the Division where the service was rendered
Head of the Guidance and Counselling Division
Centre’s Complaint Boxes